- To declare the educational institutions run by the linguistic and religious minorities as “ Minority Institutions”(only Bangalore and Mysore Division)
- To conduct visits and periodical inspection of minority Language institutions.
- Collection and consolidation of statistics of minority language educational institutions.
- To identify educationally backward minority areas and provide educational facilities and to open new schools.
- To conduct orientation training courses for teachers of minority language schools for their professional advancement through DSERT, DIETS’ & BRCs.
- Reimbursement of fees to Anglo Indian Students studying from I to 10th Standard and students of DEd. course.
- Conduct various cultural competitions to bring out hidden talent of the students studying in linguistic minority institutions.
- Co-ordinate with other Department such as Minority Welfare department, Minority Commission & Urdu Academy which are working in the field of education for minorities.
In addition to the above functions the following sections are also attached to this Directorate:
- Hindi and Arabic Schools
- Centrally sponsored Scheme-SPQEM (Scheme for Providing Quality Education in Madrasas)
- Centrally sponsored Scheme-IDMI (Infrastructure Development of Minority Institutions)
- Centrally sponsored Scheme-IEDSS(Inclusive Education of the Disabled at the Secondary Stage)
- School Development and monitoring Committees (SDMCs).